November 7, 2016

Blue around the gills. Bluegill in pine and aspen.


A follow up to the No Trout About It! Rainbow Trout Proof of Concept in Pine and Aspen post.  A second trout has been completed and I think that officially transitions it from Proof of Concept to Real Deal.  In addition to the trout, a bluegill has also joined the school.  These both went smoother as I tried to implement improvements from the Proof.  The biggest improvements came from:


  1. Just using a handheld jigsaw for the rough cuts.  Scroll saws are great but with the thickness of the board I was using, I frequently ended up with slanted saw blades and highly angled fish edges.
  2. A new router bit to make the edging faster, smoother, and easier.  It's still not the best blade but it's a huge jump. 


My first pass at painting the bluegill was awful.  Seriously terribly.  I had to sand the paint off and start over.  Ugh.  I do really like the way the final bluegill turned out though.  I'm glad I didn't give in and just toss the fish.

Bluegill mounting board is approximately 9" wide and 7" tall.
Trout mounting board is approximately 16" and 7.5" tall.

Mounting board made with Aspen.  Trout made with pine and finished with acrylic paint.  Both have a satin polyurethane coating.

And here's the latest trout...pretty much the same as the other one but facing the other direction (to get that knot in the wood where I liked it).


No comments:

Post a Comment