July 29, 2016

No Trout About It! Rainbow Trout Proof of Concept in Pine and Aspen

No trout about it*, I'm excited about this one.




This Rainbow Trout is closer to the project I had in mind when I started the Skull from before.  That was building up to this.

I went into this project with the expectation that I'd mess something--or several somethings--up.  Even that I might mess things up so badly that the whole thing had to be scrapped.  And, even if things went perfectly, I'd find something I wished I had done better.  With that in mind, my process was focused more on speed rather than a perfect implementation.  That's a difficult thing for me.  Anyway, the fish and mounting board look great from several feet away.  Up close, well...

I did learn from the experience and will do things differently on future projects:

  1. Take it easy with the scroll saw.  I ended up doing a lot of sanding anyway and some of the errant scroll saw (mis)cuts just created more work later.  I would've been better off leaving more margin and working my way into the final cut line instead of trying to follow it too closely with the saw.
  2. Get some new scroll saw blades and a new router bit.  The blades I had were hurting before I even started and they haven't gotten any better.  The router bit I had was a cheap one and burned the edge of the mounting board.  The dark stain covered this up pretty well but it looked ugly before.
  3. Leave some distressing on the fish.  I sanded the fish fairly well.  At least up to the point where I thought "It's just a proof of concept, enough already".  In the end, some of the leftover marks and scratches actually look good under the paint wash.
  4. Practice with the paint a bit more.  If I'd gone a little heavier on the water, the colors would've blended better.  The water soaked in really, really fast and there already isn't a lot of working time with acrylics.

Fish is approximately 16" long (a decent catch!) with the mounting board being around 19" x 7".

Mounting board made with Aspen.  Trout made with pine and finished with acrylic paint.  Both have a satin polyurethane coating.

*See Psych Season 7, Episode 14


No comments:

Post a Comment