May 31, 2016

Centaur End of the Trail sketch: 8" x 10" acrylics

The idea of bringing elements of fantasy into the lore of the Wild West have entertained me years.  I have pages in my sketchbook dedicated to variations on the theme.  I intend to get to those at some point.

In the meantime, this Centaur version of James Earle Fraser's sculpture, End of the Trail, has been stewing for a long time.  I considered sculpture and more detailed acrylics but eventually decided a quick but complete paint sketch was more of an accomplishment than 100 versions floating in my brain.

I encourage you to check out James Earle Fraser's work.  If you're into the old West, check out the work of Frederic Remington too.

This ended up being way more brown than I'd originally planned.  I think "A study in tan" would make a good subtitle, too.

8" x 10" acrylics


No comments:

Post a Comment